Monday, March 2, 2009

Clinic Weekend in Pennsylvania

When I flew to Philadelphia on Friday it was a balmy 59 degrees there.  When I left yesterday it had dropped to a more seasonable temperature of 33 degrees with a blizzard en route.  My flight left the Philly airport at 4:55.  Snow had dusted the ground through the day.  We learned when we landed in Orlando that by 6:30 P.M. the storm had hit and the airport had shut down.  I was actually sad to miss the snow storm, because I do love snow when you can hunker down and sit by the fire all day.  When you have horses to ride, however, the snow can impede you.  Right now I have horses to ride!

We had a good group who participated in the clinic this weekend, and although I could see some decline in the fitness and coordination of both the horses and the riders (which is perfectly normal for the equestrian in Philadelphia in late February), overall I was pleased by the level of riding. 

Back in Florida, we are spending the week preparing for the Rocking Horse Spring Horse Trials next weekend.  I will take Doc over to Bruce Davidson's farm tomorrow or Wednesday for an intensive jumping school.  My plan was to run him intermediate this weekend and advanced in his next run.  I just found out that because of the cancellation of another event, Rocking Horse is going to add an advanced this weekend.  Pending how the jump school goes, I may bump him up, but I have a feeling I will stick to my original plan.  I was happy with letting him have two runs at sub-advanced level to get him going again.  Jet will also run this weekend at preliminary level.

Off to do trot sets!

Ashley




No comments: