Sunday, June 7, 2009

Show Results

The past two weekends have been successful for us in the show ring.  Last weekend I took Jet to the spring dressage show at the Bucks County Horse Park.  He scored a 63.1% in first level test three and a 63.7% in second level test three.  In his second level test he won second place in the class.  I was particularly proud of him for producing solid scores at second level.  This was the first time he competed at second level at a show and he was focused and steady.  These scores mean that I am only one score away from achieving my USDF bronze medal.  I need one more score above 60% in a third level test.  Jet will not be ready for third level this year, but Doc may be back in the show ring before the end of the year.  I am hoping I will finish my bronze medal requirements on Doc by September.  Currently, Doc has one more month of rest before he is put back into work.

This weekend I took Monte to the Plantation Field Horse Trials.  He had a prep this week in the form of the Lucinda Green clinic at Fair Hill.  Lucinda's clinics are always a coming of age experience for my young horses and true to form Monte grew about an inch in his brain throughout the course of the clinic.  In the clinic, Lucinda encouraged me to wear bigger spurs with him.  He is not slow, but when he decides to look at a jump he likes to try to run out.  The bigger spurs are a reminder at the right moment that he needs to go straight and do the jump the first time.  In the clinic they were a big help and yesterday on cross country I was glad to have them on as well!  Monte jumped clean in both show jumping and cross country (with a tiny bit of encouragement on the latter at the roller coaster) and finished on his dressage score of 35.5.  He placed third in his novice division.  Next week he will move up to training level.  Carmella, Gina, and Mr. Wetherill all came to help and spectate yesterday and after the week of wet and rain, it was a beautiful day to be at a show.

Next weekend is Seneca Valley in Middleburg, VA.  Jet goes intermediate and Monte goes training level.
  



     

No comments: