Thursday, October 8, 2009

Morven Park and George Morris Clinic

On October 3rd Jet ran in his final horse trials before the CCI** at Fair Hill the week of October 12th. He is growing in maturity, both physically and mentally. I have had him stabled at Chesterland for the past month so that I can better focus on conditioning and training in the lead up to Fair Hill and the results are showing. His fitness level is excellent. We made time on cross country over a hilly seven minute course. He was on his job and very keen. In dressage and show jumping he was notably more relaxed and supple in his body, and I felt he used himself better, though unfortunately his scores barely reflected the change. He placed 9th out of 21, but was just a few points out of being in good ribbons.

We have one more week to consolidate. Jet has come a long way in the past two years. Sometimes I have to remind myself that he is less than three years off of the race track. Amazing! His body will continue to change and strengthen as he does more dressage. My goal for this fall is to place in the top third, maybe even the top ten, at Fair Hill, but I will plan another two star for him in the spring before we consider advanced. He is a very genuine horse and comes out every day ready to work. I don't want to burn him out by moving him up to advanced before he is physically ready for it. In his case, the third level dressage and the ability to make tighter turns are what he needs to develop. He is learning to relax his back while using it, but he needs to make it second nature. What a kind horse to have to ride!

Monte is having a big week this week too. We are participating in a three day George Morris Clinic in Leesburg, VA. I have seen George teach a few times and I decided that I wanted to ride with him once for my own education. He is an equestrian legend. Today is day three. Monte is having to negotiate a lot of turns as the clinic is held in an indoor, but he is actually beginning to make sense of his feet in his flying changes! Leslie Law, an Olympic gold medalist in eventing, is also in my group on a young horse. It is wonderful to see his example. He is one of the most beautiful riders competing today.

Off to polish my boots!

No comments: