Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mr. Wetherill Turns 90!

A landmark birthday! Brian and I hosted a fun little birthday dinner for Mr. Wetherill in my apartment just a few days before his actual birthday because I was competing at Morven Park on the day. I have now been riding for him for ten years.

Here is the poem I wrote for him:

An Ode to The Chief on his 90th Birthday


What a beautiful morning! I think I’ll go on a hack

Then after lunch I’ll take the doggies for a walk around the back.

Next week I have an Open Space meeting with Dulcie and Jake.

There’s a beautiful old farm I’d really like for them to take.

The air is getting crisp, the leaves will soon begin to go.

We can take dear Eddie and Aly out with the hunt. Tally Ho!

This winter in Florida Babbie and I will pay Monte, Jet and Doc a visit.

Now this isn’t our fifth year going, or is it?

Next summer in Maine I will read, walk, sail and paint.

I love that fresh sea air and really the point is very quaint.

My calendar is booked! Lunches at Sunnybrook, the orchestra, going to the next horse show.

Who was that who won at Burghley? I wonder if Bruce is in the know?

Chief, a very happy 90th birthday! You age with such grace

You have the rest of us young folk just trying to keep pace!

No comments: