Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!



Happy New Year!  No, this is not Doc standing quietly in the grooming stall but my five (now six!) year-old Monte Carlo.  Monte Is one week away from his USEA debut.  We will do our first recognized horse trials next weekend and he already has a small following of people who want to come to watch him.  I am having a great time with him and I'm looking forward to what the winter season will bring.

Doc is doing tremendously.  He got his Christmas wish.  On Christmas Eve I turned him out for the first time since his surgery.  Interestingly, what he seemed the happiest about was being able to roll.  And roll.  And roll!  He spent this past week going out by himself and yesterday for the first time I put him back out with another horse.  He is trotting and cantering sound in the field.  I am continuing to tack walk him daily and we are swimming on a treadmill twice a week.  We have a vet check on Monday and after that I will begin slowly building him back up to regular work.

The other big news for the week is that we sold Riviera to a hunter trainer.  After four years of trying to make Rivi an event horse, we finally decided that it just wasn't what he wanted to do in life.  I have successfully competed him in USDF dressage competition and in jumper shows, but when I showed him to trainers here in Ocala the general consensus was to make him a hunter.  After this was decided we then very quickly got an offer on him and we accepted it.  I hope to be able to watch him compete this winter at HITS in the hunter classes.  I will enjoy it!

Last night Brian and I celebrated New Year's Eve on the town in Ocala.  We went to two different parties hosted by friends down here and had a great evening.  I hope 2009 brings you all great success and joy in your riding and in your lives.

Best,
Ashley 

No comments: