Tuesday, January 27, 2009



Hi Gang,

Here are a couple of Florida pictures for you.  A lot has been going on over the past two weeks.  At top is a picture of Jet doing first level test four at the Ocala Winter Dressage show.  We did two first level tests last weekend and he scored a 61% and a 64%.  I was particularly pleased with him because he was competing against warmbloods who were better natural movers.  He was able to hold his own.  I am going to use these scores towards my USDF Bronze medal, which requires two scores above 60% at first, second, and third levels at USDF recognized shows.  I think I only need one more third level score to qualify.  My student Carmella Clark told me about this program and it is because of her encouragement that I am pursuing the medal.

Also in the dressage vein, I just volunteered today as a test rider for the USEA judges symposium here in Ocala.  The symposium had a group of test riders, I rode both Monte and Jet, and we would demonstrate movements from the proposed USEA eventing dressage tests for 2010.  The judges would then discuss whether or not they liked the movement and if they wanted to keep it in the test.  It was an educational seminar and I was glad to be a part of it.

The second picture up above is me riding the Irish warmblood stallion Oisin, or Double Diamond.  He is working on FEI level dressage with his owner Jutta Heinshon.  Jutta has been helping me with my dressage down here and after watching Monte compete at the horse trials a few weeks ago she asked if I could take Oisin to a show to give him something fun to do!  We are doing jump schools once a week now and I will take him to the Ocala Horse Park horse trials on Valentine's Day weekend.

In other news, my student Julie Chang has just spent this last week here with us riding her horse Ida every day.  Holley brought Ida down to Florida when she came at the beginning of the month and is riding her as her second mount, but Julie is flying down also to spend intensive weekends training on her.  I am so thrilled to see the progress Julie has made over the past six days.  Both Holley and Julie were given an Ashley lunge lesson this past week and it helped them both tremendously.  I am looking forward to doing another lunging clinic for all of my PA students when I get back North in May!

We also have a new horse in training for a few months.  His name is Westerhoven, or Wes.  He is a gorgeous imported Dutch warmblood.  His owner, Allison Ross, is about to have a baby and Wes is also suffering from asymmetrical movement when he is under saddle.  While Allison is occupied with her new addition we are going to try to sort out what is going on with Wes.  He is a darling horse and we are thrilled to have him in the barn.

Last but not least, my number one boy Doc is doing tremendously.  He is back to 20-30 minute sessions of flat work and jumping over caveletti.  I have missed having my top boy in good form and I am so glad to have him coming along so well.  I think I will know in about another month what our Spring season will look like.    
   
I'm sorry for so much in one blog!  I haven't had a chance to write as often as I should.  Take care!

Ashley
  
    

No comments: