Monday, January 12, 2009

Monte at Ocala I, Novice Horse

The weather this weekend was beautiful.  My six-year-old Monte did dressage on Friday.  He scored a 39.5.  He was calm and full of presence but a little too inconsistent in my hand during the transitions in the test to warrant a better score.  On Saturday he jumped double clean on cross country and was very confident, even leaving the start box with a buck, but I rode too cautiously in stadium and we piled on the time faults.  We finished out of the ribbons, but all in all I was pleased with him.  He has very little show experience and next time I will let him go more forward in the stadium.  

Brian and some friends came out to watch Monte and my dressage trainer in Ocala, Jutta Heinshon, also came to watch.  She has an Irish stallion and after watching Monte on cross country she decided she would like to see him do it too!  We are planning to take him schooling over the next few weeks.  She says he loves to jump, so we'll see if he loves cross country!

Yesterday I took Doc to visit with a friend down here who works for Pat Parelli.  We had a great discussion about the Parelli method of natural horsemanship and how it applies to sport horses.  She showed me some techniques with her own horse and then she took Doc and played with him.  I knew he would be a quick study because he is such a smart horse.  I think he enjoyed it since so much of his recovery has precluded doing anything mental. 

Holley Russell also arrived yesterday with her horse Towanda and Julie Chang's horse Ida.  Kristin Sutch came along for the ride and she is staying for a few days to help everyone settle in.  Sadly for them, the 70 degree weather has disappeared today, but I'm sure even 60 degrees feels like a nice break.

Cherio.
Ashley  

   

No comments: