Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Fork, Sunday

Doc jumped a lovely stadium round today.  He had a slight bit of heat on his knee this morning, but we iced him and treated his leg.  He was sound.  The stadium course was big and challenging.  Doc had two rails.  In my entire division there were only two clear rounds.  At the end of the day Doc and I finished the weekend 13th out of 30 starters.  This weekend was a good test for both of us.  It was a good mental preparation for Rolex and it was a test to see if Doc could hold up to completing an advanced horse trials.  I will assess him tomorrow and Tuesday, but finishing cross country sound and jumping again today was the biggest physical test for his leg between now and Rolex.  For the next two and a half weeks I will be able to train and condition him in controlled environments.  Three more weeks will only leave him stronger.  It looks like we are going to get to go this year!  I am absolutely thrilled and honored to have "life" give me this opportunity.  This has been such a goal of mine.  I feel a little bit incredulous that we are so close, but at the same time I am very excited.  My goal this year is to go and have fun and let everyone see what a special little boy Doc is.  Of course on dressage day it may be a capital "S" special, but in the jumping he will shine.

My redhead Jet also jumped well today.  He felt stiff in his back after making the time on cross country yesterday, so we had two rails.  That is unusual for him, but he should be just fine with a little arnica and a massage.  How spoiled the boys are!      

My wonder-hubby Brian is driving us all back to Ocala as I write.  Tomorrow will be a day of cleaning and catching up with my boys Monte, Wes, and Gavin at the farm.

Until next time!
Ashley   

No comments: