Friday, May 7, 2010

Day Two, Jersey Fresh CIC***

Jet produced a steady test today, except for two exuberant flying changes. Other than the changes, he was very obedient in the ring. He has been suffering from a sore back for different reasons over the past few weeks. First, we decided that he needed his hocks injected. That helped the soreness in his low back. Then, when I returned to PA I left my County jumping saddle in Florida with Karla, the Hanoverian mare I was riding this winter. The horses love the County saddles and that one fit Karla better than the boys. Before I left, though, I ordered a new jumping saddle with a tree that will fit my thoroughbreds perfectly. It is being shipped from the UK and is not here yet. Last week I resorted to putting my old cross country saddle on Jet, thinking nothing of it. Boy was that a mistake. After two days in it, he would sit down when I pressed wrong on his back. In a minor panic, I called Kaity, my lovely County rep from Ocala, and explained my situation. She immediately shipped me a saddle to use in the mean time. This is one of the reasons I love County as a company. They work really hard to do the best thing for their clients and their horses. All of this is to say, I wasn't really sure what kind of horse I would have in the ring today for dressage. By yesterday, thankfully, my intense laser and massage treatments of the past week along with Dr. Pat's chiropractic adjustment on Tuesday had paid off. Jet was feeling much better. Today we scored a 62% and are in 11th place in the division.

Tomorrow is the big cross country day. When I walked around the course yesterday I thought it looked like great fun. Today, however, it looked harder. Usually it goes the other way around -- when you first walk a course it looks hard and then it gets easier looking the more you see it -- so I'm not sure what to make of this! I do know that I have come to grief at more than one of the fences on the Jersey Fresh course. I have also had years where I had great rounds. Tomorrow I will have to keep my head in gear and make sure I give Jet a smooth, confidant ride the whole way around.

In other news, my friend James Alliston has come all the way out from California to ride this weekend. After dressage he is in last place on his own off the track thoroughbred in the CCI*** division, but in first place on his girlfriend's horse in the CCI** division. That can't be too common! Also, four star rider Wendy Lewis has just had her second baby, a boy, and he is at the show with her this weekend spectating. He is six weeks old. Wendy trains with Buck Davidson and Buck is riding her horse right now.

There are several horses running this weekend that had mishaps at Rolex, so they are looking to make amends of their spring season with a solid finish at a CCI***. It will be interesting to see if that goes well for them.

Signing off for now!

Ashley

No comments: