Monday, October 20, 2008

Great Adventure!



After the sudden change in plans yesterday, Brian and I decided to take a non-horse day and we spent the afternoon riding roller coasters at Great Adventure.  It was quite a re-introduction to mainstream American culture!  I have been so immersed in competing all summer I have hardly been anywhere aside from the barn and horse shows.  First of all, the demographics were much more cosmopolitan than the predominantly white horse world.  Secondly, I had forgotten how most normal girls actually make an effort to do their hair and wear cute clothes even if it is completely impractical.  I saw a lot of high heeled boots as well as skirts while waiting in line for roller coasters!  Plus, when the sun started to go down and it got chilly everyone started to shiver but I just pulled out my crazy fleece teaching hat.  I got some funny looks, but I was warm!  The Superman ride gets a good review from me, though it is too short.  Brian and I both really enjoyed El Toro which is a huge wooden roller coaster.  Our lesson for next time is that Flash Pass is the way to go.  We spent way too long in lines!

Doc looked better yesterday and pretty comfortable today, though still too lame to ride.  Unfortunately, it was the right choice to withdraw him.  Peter Blauner is going to come ultrasound him on Wednesday.  He could have strained a ligament in his pastern, but from his symptoms and the lack of significant swelling, I am keeping my fingers crossed that he just cracked his fetlock and has a bone bruise.

This afternoon Jet and I are off to ride in a cross country clinic with Lucinda Green at the New Jersey Horse Park.  I am looking ahead to a strong finish from him at the Ocala CCI*.

Ashley  

No comments: