Sunday, October 5, 2008

Getting no sleep is the answer for dressage?

I know everyone tells me that I am a morning person, but getting up at 3:30 AM like I did today is just not my cup of tea!  

Doc and I made the wee hour drive to Leesburg, VA today to compete in the Morven Park advanced combined test.  The critical element to the day was being able to practice our Fair Hill FEI dressage test in a competition.  Our horse trials dressage tests are different than the FEI tests, so we usually only get to ride the FEI tests once or twice a season.  Morven Park offered this dressage and show jumping combo specifically for riders prepping for Fair Hill.

My conclusion from the day is that Doc needs to get up at 3:30 AM every time it is dressage day.  He was the calmest he's ever been in dressage and he bested his previous score on the same test by nine points.

We did have rails in stadium, but we finished sixth and all in all Doc felt very good.  We have two more gallops, one more jump school, and one more dressage lesson and then we are off to Fair Hill next Tuesday.  Between now and then, Jet and I will compete in an open preliminary horse trials on the 12th in Maryland.   

No comments: