Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Check-up on Doc

Hi All,

Doc gave us all a little scare over the weekend.  By Wednesday of last week he was more or less sound on the left front leg -- the one we had all been so worried about.  By the weekend, however, he was dead lame on his OTHER front leg!  He also had swelling running up from his knee.  I knew he had hit a jump with that knee at Fair Hill because he came off course with a half inch piece of brush sticking out from it.  At the time, we pulled the splinter out, it bled a lot, we iced it, and we didn't think much more of it.  It turns out the inside had gotten infected and that small infection turned into lymphangitis by late last week.  This type of infection likes to climb upwards and, according to Doc, it is very painful!  After two days he wouldn't even put weight on his leg.  

Dr. Blauner came right out.  He has been fantastic with Doc and I am lucky for his expertise.  He knows how important every detail is with upper level horses, especially when you are coming into a big competition.  Dr. Blauner has been helping me keep Doc on track all summer.  When this development with Doc cropped up, Dr. Blauner came right out.  He put Doc on a heavy duty antibiotic and he is now looking much more comfortable.  I am hoping that by Monday Doc will be 95% well and he will actually be able to start enjoying his time off!  We shall see.  At the moment he is fairly indignant that he is not getting ridden.  Every time I am in the barn he has his head out of his stall watching me.  He even bangs on his stall door sometimes.  Apparently he is a workaholic just like me!  Vacation is important, though.  We have a lot of work in front of us this Spring.  

Rivi was a good dressage horse last weekend.  We scored a 60% in our third level test at the BCHP recognized show.  I know he can put in a better performance than that, but I need to get him stronger physically and get his flying changes more confirmed.  That will be our goal for the winter.  Carmella Clark and Tachyon also competed at the show in training level.  I think she was aiming for better scores than what she got, but I was pleased with her improvements over last year. 

On Sunday I decided to skip the horse trials with Jet and instead go and gallop at Valley Forge Park.  Next week Jet and I go to Florida for ten days for the Ocala CCI*.  It will be his first FEI competition.  Until then, dressage, dressage, dressage!

Ashley

No comments: