Monday, November 3, 2008

First Wedding Anniversary, Chicago, IL


My dad turned 70 yesterday and it was Brian's and my first wedding anniversary.  On top of this, my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary in October.  My dad was speaking in Chicago this past weekend on his birthday.  We decided about two months ago to give him a really good surprise.  My mom, my brother, Brian and I all showed up in Chicago at the conference where he was speaking!  The conference was taking place in The Palmer House, which is the oldest continuously operating hotel in the United States.  It was built over 130 years ago.  Needless to say, it is a beautiful hotel.  

Brian and I arrived on Saturday and in the afternoon we met one of my high school friends and her husband for drinks in the bar at Palmer House.  My mom showed up at about 4:00 and my dad walked by about ten minutes later.  Mom called him over.  You should have seen the look on his face!  My brother arrived about fifteen minutes after that.  Dad was so tickled!  Mom had also put together this awesome slideshow of over 100 photos of Dad from childhood to the present.  It was really well done.  My brother and I hadn't even seen many of the photos before.  After the slideshow we took my dad to dinner in The Palmer House restaurant.

At the end of the evening my brother, Brian and I went to Second City for a show.  Second City was where Saturday Night Live got its start.  The show was fantastic!  The ensemble group was so talented!  The show was based around comedic skits and there was a lot of improv.  I was so impressed by the talent of the actors. 

The jaunt was a great way to spend the weekend of our first anniversary.  We flew back yesterday and Brian and I cooked a delicious dinner for ourselves.  Today we are going to finish packing the horse trailer and on Wednesday we head down to Florida with Jet for the Ocala CCI* next week.

Talk to you soon!
Ashley
 





No comments: